Four Year Olds
Below you will find a list of developmental milestones for four year olds. Keep in mind that not all children develop at the same time and will progress through these stages at their own pace. However, if you have concerns about your child’s development, it is important to talk with your child’s doctor.
Skips 6-7 steps Gives full name on request
Throws ball 10 feet Names 3 colors
Puts together 5-7 piece puzzle Says 2000 words
Four Year Olds
· Play simple board and card games (Candyland) that depend on chance, not strategy; Emphasisis on playing not winning
· Provide puzzles with 5-10 pieces, counting and alphabet games
· Continue to read to child every day; Encourage child to supply words or phrases, guess what will happen next, retell story
· Encourage outdoor play
· Provide opportunities for child to explore with simple math and science materials (rulers,magnifying glass, compass) and activities (collecting leaves, planting seeds)
· Involve child in cooking activities (stir batter, measure flour, cut out cookies)
· Continue to encourage experimentation with art materials: paint with marbles or small toy cars, sponge painting, etc. Display child’s work.
· Teach your child responsibility by having him/her participate in household chores: feeding pets, setting table for dinner, dusting, cleaning up toys, etc.Taken from: Allen, K. E. and L. R. Marotz. (2000). By the Ages: Behavior and development of childrenpre-birth through eight. Albany: Delmar Thomson Learning.